Getting gas has become a luxury that most people can no longer afford. Since an increase in gas prices also increases the prices of other goods, most people have resorted to using credit cards.
Nowadays, it is common to find people using credit cards for gas purchases. However, another problem ensues with the use of credit cards. One has to choose a sound credit card that can accept bad credit even.
Getting a credit card can pose a severe problem most of the time. The process could be time-consuming and confusing. Will your credit score decrease if you get another credit card? Which credit card best suits your needs? These are only a few questions that could run through your mind. It even gets more confusing if you have bad credit and cannot get a regular credit card.
A sound credit card is the best option for gas purchases. You can use these cards for more than just gas purchases. You can also use these cards to buy groceries and other eligible purchases. In addition, the best gas credit cards allow you to redeem rewards on everyday purchases.
Although you can find many credit card brands on the market, few offer good deals. Genuine and reputable credit card brands can offer gas rewards to their users. Furthermore, these credit card issuers do not charge excess premiums on their loans.
Finding reputable gas credit card issuers that give out loans irrespective of credit scores could pose a severe problem. Hence, we have compiled this review to help you get an eligible gas card from reputable credit card issuers.
Top Gas Credit Cards To Consider In 2022
- First Access Classic Visa Card – Overall Best Credit Card, Editor’s Pick
- FIT Mastercard – Top Credit Card Company
- Indigo Mastercard – Prime Company To Get Best Mastercard
- Milestone Gold Mastercard – Most Popular Company For Gas Credit Cards
- Destiny Mastercard – Most Recommended For Credit Cards
#1. First Access Classic Visa – Overall Best Credit Card, Editor’s Pick
The First Access Classic Visa Card is our number one pick for several reasons. The full-feature Visa credit card works nationwide in any gas station you see the Visa logo. In addition, you can use the card in grocery stores and other places that accept credit cards.
This card is the best option if you want to build your credit score. Since you regularly make gas purchases, you can easily use this avenue to get your credit score a boost when you pay off. In addition, you can use the card when visiting grocery stores and ultimately pay off your monthly balance transfers. With this card, you will notice a rise in your credit score within a short period.
The company offers a fast application process with its secure online application system. You will have to provide your full name, home address, city, and state of residence. Furthermore, the company asks if you already have an active checking account.
The next step in your credit card application process is to pick your card design. Although the company offers two free designs, you will have to pay for premium designs if you select them. Note that you will have to pay the program fee for account opening on approval. Once you have paid the program fee and completed the account opening process, you can access your available credit.
First Access has a detailed guide on its website on how to obtain the best credit cards for bad credit. First Access Credit Card offers credit to people with good and bad credit. However, you need to note that the company does not give bonus rewards. In addition, the company’s card has a variable annual percentage rate of 34.99%. You will also find the exact APR for variable cash advance purchases.
Excellent Credit Score Builder: First Access Visa Card helps users build their credit scores. The credit card company collaborates with the three top credit bureaus to give out credit cards. When you pay your credit balance on time, the company sends the reports to each credit union on their list. With time, you will notice improvements in your credit scores.
Guaranteed Credit Card: This company will give you a credit card irrespective of your credit worthiness. However, you may have to pay more due to your financial situation.
Fees: You will have to pay annual fees like other unsecured cards for people with bad credit scores. Also, the company charges a one-time program fee for account opening. The company does not charge a monthly servicing fee for the first year. Overall, the company has a fair fee policy.
Access to Higher Credit Line: First Access Visa Credit Card allows you to request a credit limit upgrade after 12 billing cycles. Hence, you can enjoy more money when the company builds trust with you.
Excellent Initial Credit Limit: Unlike other gas credit cards, you will get a $300 initial credit limit on your gas credit card. The initial credit card limit allows you to make gas station purchases. Furthermore, you can make combined purchases depending on your preference.
No Security Deposit Required: You do not need to make security deposits before accessing money from this credit card company. However, you will pay program fees later for account opening and other fees.
Freedom and Flexibility: First Access offers a credit card accepted in the United States and online merchant sites. Hence, you can use your credit card anywhere you see the Visa logo.
Secure Online Application: You don’t need to visit any physical location for verification. First Access Visa credit card has a fast and efficient online application system. Once you get approved, you will get your money within 24 hours.
- Secure online application
- Builds your credit scores
- Offers freedom and flexibility
- Credit cards are acceptable all across the US
- Guaranteed credit approval
- High annual percentage rates
- Credit card only works within the US
#2. FIT Mastercard – Top Credit Card Company
FIT Mastercard is a product of Continental Finance, a renowned credit card company. The same company offers Verve Cards and Reflex Cards. You can use the FIT Mastercard anywhere in the world. Unlike other cards, the FIT Mastercard is not a line of credit or store card in disguise.
Like the First Access Visa credit card, FIT Mastercard has an easy application process. You just need to follow three steps, and you will get done with the application process. First, you must visit the brand’s official website and click “Apply Now.” Next, you will have to fill in preliminary information and then click on “Continue Your Application.”
One good thing about the application process is that it does not take time. Once you complete your application, you will get a decision within minutes. FIT Mastercard is also an excellent way to go if you want to rebuild or get a good credit score. The credit card reports your credit history to three credit bureaus each time you use the card. Hence, each credit union evaluates your credit history and approves your good credit with time.
Once approved, you can access a spending limit of $400, more than what other similar gas card companies offer. Also, you can increase your minimum spending limit after six months.
Mastercard Zero Fraud Liability Protection: One good perk of using this card is the Zero Fraud Liability Protection feature. This feature allows you to enjoy protection from unauthorized transactions. Hence, no one can use your card without your permission.
Free Online Statement Credit: The free online statement credit gives you access to a whooping Vantage 3.0 Score each month. Consequently, the card helps to build your credit score. However, you will have to be content with several fees. In addition, you will not enjoy any premier rewards program because the card does not have them.
Card Charges: Once you sign up for this card, you will have to pay an annual fee of $89. In addition, you will need to pay a one-time processing fee and a monthly card maintenance fee. The company adds foreign transaction fees of 3% to your card.
Low Eligibility Criteria: With FIT Mastercard, you will surely get a guaranteed gas card that works for all gas credit card purchases. One good thing with this credit card issuer is that you can get a credit card with low credit scores. If you cannot obtain a regular credit card due to a bad credit score, you can use the best gas credit cards from FIT Mastercard.
Credit Card Limit: You can get up to $2,000 to make eligible purchases using this card for six months. However, note that your credit limit increment may only apply if you meet the company’s terms and conditions.
- Increase in credit limit after six months
- $400 credit limit for beginners
- No minimum spending limit
- Free credit score access
- Great credit score builder
- Excessive fees
#3. Indigo Mastercard – Prime Company To Get Best Mastercard
Indigo’s Platinum Mastercard is the best financial solution to help improve your credit. The card helps to promote better spending habits among its users. Furthermore, you get to enjoy several other benefits when using the best gas credit cards from the company.
Like our other picks, you will have to fill in your information before applying. Once you complete the application, you can access gas credit cards from the credit card issuer. A unique feature of this platform is that it offers users different gas credit cards of various types. Because the credit card uses a Platinum Mastercard, you don’t need a deposit to access funds. Furthermore, you do not need to pay any money for an account opening with this service.
Unlike our last two products, you don’t have to pay an annual fee when using the credit cards from this issuer. Hence, you can enjoy a safe and affordable way to build your credit score without accumulating debt.
One thing you should note, however, is that this credit card service does not offer sign-up bonuses to its cardholders. The card simply helps you to build your credit score. Hence, you will not find any bonus categories from this brand.
Note that people under 18 years cannot obtain gas credit cards from Indigo Platinum Mastercard. Furthermore, people in Alabama must turn 19 or older to access these gas credit cards. This service has one of the most accessible application processes. You will need to visit the Indigo official website, where you will find an application form.
The service asks for information such as full name and age. You will also provide your contact address and home address. Another thing the service requests is your social security number. Once you provide this information, you can submit your application for pre-approval.
Foreign Transaction Fees: Indigo Platinum Mastercard does not charge much for foreign transactions. The credit card service collects 1% as its foreign transaction fee. Hence, you can quickly pay for gas at foreign gas stations and make other eligible purchases without breaking a sweat.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR): This service has favorable terms to help you build your credit score while paying for goods and services. You can enjoy a fixed APR of 24.9% when patronizing this service. While this rate may seem high, it is lower than other APRs from credit card services.
Redemption and Rewards: Indigo Platinum Mastercard does not reward dollars or bonus points to its credit card users. This card helps you build your credit score as you pay for gas at gas stations and restaurants. Also, you cannot redeem rewards with this card.
No Annual Fee: Unlike other gas credit cards, you will not pay any annual fee with this service. Instead, the service allows you to build your credit score without accumulating debt.
No Balance Transfers: There are no balance transfers with gas credit cards from Indigo Platinum Mastercard. Hence, you can quickly transfer money from your Indigo Platinum Card to other cards.
Credit Card Regulation: Gas credit cards from Indigo Platinum have a low credit card limit to help regulate your spending habits. Thus, you can make purchases from gas stations and restaurants while building your credit score.
Soft Credit Check: Indigo Platinum Mastercard performs soft credit checks to determine your eligibility for a gas credit card. If you have a satisfactory FICO score, you will be approved after you submit your application. Recommended credit scores range from 300 to 500.
- Low foreign transaction fee
- Builds your credit
- Extended warranty protection
- Relatively low APR
- No intro balance transfer fee
- No cash back at U.S supermarkets
- You cannot redeem rewards
#4. Milestone Gold Mastercard – Most Popular Company For Gas Credit Cards
Milestone Gold Mastercard is the perfect choice for people looking to get gas credit cards. This service is a product of Genesis FS Card Services Inc., a renowned financial institution. Furthermore, the Bank of Missouri issues this Mastercard, which gets serviced by Genesis FS Card Services Inc.
You can pre-qualify to get gas credit cards from this service. The service has one of the best gas credit cards for people making everyday purchases. One good thing about this service is that it has a fast online application system. Hence, you won’t need to visit any physical location for verification.
The issuer asks you to provide your name, address, and information. In addition, the service requires your phone number, date of birth, and social security number. The service uses this information to help you check if you pre-qualify for its credit card. If you do not qualify for the Milestone Mastercard, the service pre-qualifies you for another bank’s credit card.
Another exciting thing about this service is that checking for pre-qualification does not impact your credit score. Hence, you can carry the pre-qualification check without damaging your score.
You must be 18 years old and have a U.S IP address and a valid social security number to qualify for this credit card. The service gets your credit report from credit bureaus to verify your identity before issuing their card to you. In addition, the service also collaborates with America Financial Center to ensure you have a good financial record.
You do not need to pay money for account opening if you do not have a Milestone account. In addition, the service gives billing rights to its cardholders.
Easy Balance Transfers Calculator: The service uses an easy balance transfers calculator to calculate your statement credit. Milestone uses an “average daily balance” method to calculate their balance transfers.
Annual Fee: You get to pay an annual fee for using Milestone Mastercard’s credit card every year. However, the annual fee is relatively lower than other credit card services.
Foreign Transaction Fee: With Milestone Mastercard, you pay 1% of each transaction for each dollar of eligible purchases. In addition, you can use the card to pay for eligible delivery services.
Cash Advance Fee: You pay 5% or $5 of the amount for each transaction you make with Milestone’s Mastercard.
No interest on early payments: This service will not charge any interest if you pay your entire balance on time. However, the service will charge interest on cash advances on the transaction date.
Relatively Lower APR: You will pay annual interest rates of 24.90%, slightly lower than other card services.
No Deposits Required: You don’t need to make cash deposits before accessing your credit card balance.
- Low foreign transaction fee
- Mobile account access
- No fee for account opening
- No deposits to access statement credits
- Sound card for bad credit scores
- Pay for streaming subscriptions
- No intro balance transfer fee
- No gas rewards
- No cash rewards on the credit card
#5. Destiny Mastercard – Most Recommended For Credit Cards
Like our other picks, the Destiny Mastercard is an unsecured credit card. You can use this credit card if you have bad to fair credit. You must first pre-qualify if you want to get a credit card from this issuer.
Destiny Mastercard Credit Card holders enjoy protection benefits. Such benefits include identity theft protection. In addition, you can also enjoy zero liability protection from this service.
Note, however, that you will not enjoy sign-up bonus or bonuses from other bonus categories. Furthermore, the Destiny Mastercard Credit Card does not reward dollars or cash back at U.S supermarkets or streaming subscriptions.
Also, this service does not have an unlimited cashback match on gas rewards. The service does not redeem rewards on these credit cards. These credit cards only help you build credit by making everyday purchases at gas stations and restaurants.
Users love the credit card service because it has fair charges on all its transactions. Furthermore, users noted that the service has one of the best gas credit cards to help build their credit scores. You don’t need a high credit score to obtain a Destiny Mastercard Credit Card. You could even qualify for the credit card even with prior bankruptcies.
No Statement Credit: Destiny Mastercard credit card does not require statement credit for you to access its credit card. Hence, you do not need to deposit any money before obtaining the card.
Guaranteed Credit Card: Destiny Mastercard ensures you get the best gas credit cards to help you with gas station purchases. What’s more? The service informs you of your eligibility before allowing you to apply. Hence, you don’t need to risk your credit score to apply when you do not qualify.
Annual Fee: This credit card service has an annual fee of $55-$99. The annual fee costs less than that of other credit card services. Thus, this service can quickly build your credit score without accumulating debt.
Balance Transfers: Destiny Mastercard has favorable balance transfers compared to other services. In addition to balance transfers, you will not pay the cash advance fee during the first year of your card usage.
Foreign Transaction Fee: Destiny Mastercard charges 1% per transaction in U.S dollars. This low foreign transaction fee allows you to enjoy payments at gas stations and other streaming subscriptions.
Cash Backs: Destiny Mastercard does not have a premier rewards program. Hence, you will not get bonus cash back at U.S supermarkets or other eligible purchases. Also, you will not get cash backs for any eligible delivery you pay for.
Credit Card Design: This service allows you to pick the credit card design that works for you. Furthermore, you can use your card at gas stations and anywhere with Mastercard acceptance.
- Pre-qualification without damage to your credit score
- Pay for gas at gas stations
- Make other purchases at any point with Mastercard support
- Fair annual fee
- Pay for items on the app, in-store, and online
- No minimum spending fee
- Pay for streaming subscriptions
- No bonus cash back on any eligible delivery service
- No premier rewards program
How We Chose the Best Credit Cards for Gas Purchases?
We had to pick the best credit card issuers from a long list. With hundreds of brands in the market, this task felt confusing. We became more confused as each credit card issuer promised mouth-watering benefits. Hence, we had to find a way to select reputable brands that offered the best deals.
We conveniently picked our credit card issuers once we decided on factors to consider. Here’s what we looked for when picking our preferred credit card issuers.
What We Looked for When Picking the Best Credit Cards for Gas Purchases?
We considered several factors to help us get good credit cards for gas station purchases. Here are some of the factors we considered when making this list of the best credit cards for gas station purchases:
- Brand Reputation: Our team ensured to pick only brands with good track records. We considered brands that had built a name in the credit card industry and offered the best gas credit cards for gas purchases. Interestingly, we found that these brands had built trust with their clients. Hence, users felt comfortable recommending them to others. The names on our list come from genuine, trusted, and reputable brands. Moreover, these brands did not charge excessive fees for using their credit cards. The card issuers also offered good deals to help their users easily make gas purchases.
- Fixed Monthly Plan Fee: Our team compared several credit card brands to pick the best. We found that some issuers offered a fixed monthly plan fee while others had monthly plan fees that fluctuate with inflation. Our team selected issuers with fixed interest rates to help card users enjoy their credit cards without issues. In addition, these card issuers did not charge extra fees after collecting their monthly plan fee. We also picked issuers that allowed monthly installments to help gas credit card users to enjoy their services.
- Eligible Purchases: We found that not all credit cards allowed users to make other purchases aside from gas station purchases. Even issuers that allowed users to make combined purchases had limitations on specific items in the grocery store. Thus, we considered issuers that allowed everyday purchases from grocery stores, gas stations, and other eligible purchases. In addition, we picked brands that offered maximum rewards to customers for making other purchases apart from gas purchases.
- Foreign Transaction Fees: Most credit card companies charge foreign transaction fees. This foreign transaction fee varies depending on the issuer. However, some brands do not charge high fees when making foreign transactions. Hence, it is easier and cheaper to patronize such brands. Our team selected companies with gas credit cards that charged a minimal foreign transaction fee.
- Combined Purchases: Our team researched several credit card brands to pick out issuers that allow the best-combined purchases. These issuers allowed gas purchases as well as payments in grocery stores. Also, users could use their credit cards for other eligible purchases. Our team ranked such brands on our list and combined this factor with others to pick the best gas credit card issuers.
- Annual Fee: We also considered the annual fee on each user’s credit card. Some brands charge high annual fees on their credit cards. We found some reputable brands that charged low annual fees for their cards. Thus, we ranked those cards higher in our roundup. Also, we did not include card issuers with high-interest rates on their credit cards.
- User Reviews: It was challenging to distinguish the best gas credit cards on the market. Hence, we consulted user reviews to help us select good credit card options. Our team selected credit card companies with the best reviews. These companies gained users’ trust, leaving positive reviews on their official websites.
- User Satisfaction Quotient: Our team also considered the user satisfaction quotient when looking for good gas credit cards. We derived the user satisfaction quotient by comparing the overall user ratings on each credit card. Ultimately, we chose credit cards with the highest user ratings. The names on our list had the highest user ratings. Thus, users felt more comfortable using these cards for gas purchases.
- Expert Opinions: We considered the opinions of several experts in the credit card business before making our picks. Our team consulted several review articles, journals, and comments made by credit card experts. Ultimately, we compared their opinions of the best credit cards with our picks. We found that the cards we picked obtained the backing of several finance experts.
- Repayment Periods: Our team considered the periods for repayments with the different credit cards. We found that some brands offered shorter repayment packages with higher interest rates. Also, we discovered some brands that offered more extended repayments with considerable fees. Our team considered the latter option over credit card companies with higher interests.
- Installment Payments: We found some credit card companies that allowed users to make monthly payments. However, we scrutinized the payments to ensure that users would not strain their finances. Hence, companies with high monthly installments did not feature on our list. Our roundup only included gas credit cards with low and moderate monthly installments.
How to Get the Best Gas Credit Cards for Gas Station Purchases?
Getting the best gas credit cards is a tricky thing. However, with good guidance and research, you could use these credit cards to get good deals at U.S gas stations.
We have outlined a few things to help you obtain good credit cards to help build your credit score.
- Hilton Honors Bonus Points
Although several card issuers give out maximum rewards for card users, not all provide these rewards. Most card issuers that give cards for U.S gas stations and restaurants payment do not have a rewards program. You can mainly use these cards to build good credit. Hence, you may not find the Hilton honors bonus points to apply to these cards when you use them. You may have to forfeit bonus categories if you aim to get a card that helps you build your credit score while paying for gas at U.S gas stations.
- Statement Credit
It would help to consider card issuers with a minimal statement credit. Such issuers make life easier when making repayments. Furthermore, it would help avoid issuers asking for deposits before crediting your card.
- Eligible Purchases
You need to know what you can use your card for. Some cards allow you to make eligible purchases at U.S gas stations and restaurants. Furthermore, you can use these cards to make other category grocery store wholesale purchases. Note, however, that you will not get cashback on eligible gas card purchases. You could also use your gas card for parking tolls, buses, rideshare, trains, and other purchases.
- Interest and Annual Fee Per Offer
You need to consider each offer’s annual fee and APR before buying into any card issuer. In addition, it would help to study the terms of the agreement to ensure that you get the best deals on your cards. Always ensure to pick cards with a low annual fee and interest rate. Such cards help you to build your credit while making payments.
- Points Per Dollar
You need to understand that you may not get points per dollar you spend on your gas card. Furthermore, you may not get bonus cash back at gas stations and restaurants when using these cards. Your gas card can help you build good credit as you pay for taxis, rideshare, parking tolls, trains, buses, and other eligible purchases.
- Leverage Reputable Brands
It is better to leverage reputable brands with good track records to get a sound gas card. When you patronize reputable brands, you can make combined purchases. Most gas card issuers do not offer points per dollar of eligible purchases. These reputable brands also charge a low annual fee.
- User Reviews
It would help to always consult the user reviews before choosing your gas credit card. These user reviews give first-hand information about the gas card’s performance. Hence, you can leverage the reviews to know the best gas card to pick for good credit.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gas Credit Cards
- What does statement credit mean?
Statement credit is money sent to your account by gas card issuers. Such issuers could include American Express. Occasionally, issuers deduct the statement credit from your card balance, so you don’t have to make deposits.
- When I use a gas card, will I get cash back at U.S gas stations?
It is not mandatory to get cash back at U.S gas stations and restaurants when using gas cards. Furthermore, you could not get points per dollar or cash back at U.S supermarkets. You will not get bonus points per dollar if you use a card to build good credit.
- Can I find a gas card with eligible gas bonus points for a preferred rewards member?
You can find gas cards that allow you to pay for eligible delivery services. In addition, you can use these gas cards for eligible gas payments. However, you may not enjoy maximum or gas rewards when using gas cards to build good credit.
- Can I get gas rewards when I patronize these card issuers?
You can redeem rewards from card issuers if they offer gas rewards for gas and other purchases. However, you must confirm if these issuers offer gas rewards on their cards before patronizing them.
- Can I use all the cash on my card?
You can use all the cash on your card if your issuer permits. Some issuers allow you to make combined purchases or balance transfers without additional fees. However, some issuers do not allow you to use all the cash on your card. In addition, they may charge money for balance transfers. Thus, you may need to confirm if you can use all the cash on your card before patronizing the issuer.
Conclusion: Best Gas Credit Cards In 2022
We have considered the best credit card for gas purchases in this roundup. These cards help people build their credit scores while paying for gas at gas stations across the United States. Furthermore, you can enjoy the best deals while building your credit.
The cards on our list come from reputable brands with the best cards. Note that you may not enjoy bonus points for combined purchases. Furthermore, you may not get cash rewards on eligible delivery services. You may not get the cash back because these cards help you build good credit without accumulated debt.
If you have good credit, you may need to use other cards that guarantee cash rewards and bonuses from bonus categories. Some card issuers on our list collect a fee for account opening, while others do not. Hence, it would help if you thoroughly considered the terms and conditions before opting for any service.
We have also included a comprehensive guide to help you get the best benefits out of your gas cards. It would help to consider several factors like statement credit, cash back on eligible purchases, or annual fees.
If you have any confusion, you can consult the customer service team of the issuer you want to use. Also, you can pick from any issuer on our list if you want to get the best gas credit cards with the best benefits.